Last summer is when I really started to embrace wearing the color yellow. It’s so bold and bright and stands out so much against my dark skin that I just didn’t care for it. However! 🙂 I’m (slowly) learning to embrace the beauty that comes with standing out and I was immediately drawn to this dress when I first saw it sitting on the rack. It literally glided on so easy which is necessary since there is no zipper. I love how it shows just enough skin to make this an easy day to night or even a vacation look.
I decided wear this on vacation while my husband and I were in Trinidad and Tobago. I was so comfortable, even with the heat, and I received several compliments (and head swivels) as we walked through town doing some sight seeing in downtown Port of Spain. None of my strapless bras work well with this dress due to the front and back cuts so I decided to go braless which was fine even though the material is a bit more delicate. Even though I’m not top heavy, I’ve never been comfortable walking out of the house without a bra but I felt totally okay with it. Could have probably used nipple covers but with the heat, it probably would have made me more subconscious making sure they weren’t un-sticking and piercing through. That would be awkward. lol
Below are details on my look along with other ways to style this dress. I’m sure I’ll be pulling this dress out more than once this summer.
- Dress: Topshop (similar here)
- Sandals: Express
- Locket Necklace: Nordstrom
- Eritrea Necklace: East Africana (they sell African map necklaces as well as traditional jewelry with a modern twist)
- It’s loose enough to fit comfortably over a swimsuit so pair it with sandals and a raffia hat for a perfect dressier beach look.
- Pair it with bright colored open toed heels for a summer wedding.
- A fitted white tee shirt underneath with your favorite sneakers is fun and casual. (checkout these bedazzled sneakers!)
- Keep it simple with wedges and a stand-out bag for brunch.
- A pair of dressy black or nude heels and clutch with a red lip is a fun date night style.
- Create an edgy city vibe with a leather jacket, teased hair and block heel boots.